Friday, October 1, 2010

Skellig Michael


September 28.  While I couldn't make it to Skellig Michael due to the large swells which made landing impossible, I was not disappointed with the spiritual journey that I opted for alternatively.  I did the local "Stations of the Cross Pilgrimage" which is a 4 hour ascent of Knocknadobar, a 690m mountain on the Iveragh peninsula.  For whatever reason, there was only one cross on the walk, and this was at the top.  This was not a grueling climb, but one of the most rewarding I have ever done.  The view was breathtaking, and offered a 360 degree panorama of the Kerry coastline, Cahersiveen and the Dingle Peninsula.  I recorded this video at the top which somewhat captures the experience including the gusting winds, though I wish I had brought my tripod to avoid the shaky cam!.


The sheep at the top is amazing, as there is so much grazing below, I wonder why it decided to come up to the top other than to enjoy the view.  The celtic cross is awesome and added to the inspirational feel of the trip.  The descent was equally spectacular as I went down the SW ridge which is right on the edge of the coastline. 

Even if I didn't get to Skellig Michael, I could see it and feel the remoteness of this beautiful area in Ireland.  I listened to Loreena McKennitt's "Skellig" at the top, and it was a powerful experience.  One of the best things I have ever done in my entire life, and I am not overexaggerating.  It was incredible.
Took this picture of Skellig Michael at an viewpoint overlooking Ballinskellig's Bay.

Isole Borromee